Stelvio ordered

I'm hoping Pyramid, SW Motech and Hepco/Becker release stuff very quickly o the Stelvio, because there are so many similarities with the Mandello :)

No panniers? All the accessories you're getting make good sense.

The factory heated grips work fine for me on I and II (I've not tried or needed III yet) but Oxfords will save you some money, get even hotter, and should integrate nicely like they do on the V85. My centre stand is supposedly to ship to me around end of this month. One good thing about buying this bike in the winter is that accessories being BO'd for a month or two so isn't a problem. :)

I don't bother with protection bars anymore. They can save damage in a low speed tip and provide mounting spots for lights so I do recognize the usefulness. But I just prefer the look w/o them. I will order an extender as soon as it's available!

I haven't added additional lights for a while now because I seldom ride at night. When I do I can see, thanks to cataract surgery, plus the last three bikes I've purchased have great LED headlights. And as far as wiring, much more than just plugging something in is a challenge for me! BUT the conspicuity they add even during the day is apparent so I may look into adding them. It appears Guzzi utilizes crash bars for mounting though.

I just U-clamped a Ram ball mount to the handlebars for the Garmin XT cradle and used it w/o wired power to check the speedo (in)accuracy. I really don't like how Garmin configured the XT cable with the converter down at the battery connection and many feet of cable between it and the cradle where it's screw attached. But that's how it is wired on my V85 which doesn't lend itself to be moved from bike to bike.
My solution is to run a power cable up near the bars and instruments with an SAE 2 prong end, on each bike. Then I had someone splice and shorten the XT coax cable to 15" from the cradle including the converter and terminating with an SAE plug. Now whenever I want the GPS fitted I'll just shift the cradle, with the 15" cable staying attached, between bikes and plug it in.

No panniers? All the accessories you're getting make good sense.

The factory heated grips work fine for me on I and II (I've not tried or needed III yet) but Oxfords will save you some money, get even hotter, and should integrate nicely like they do on the V85. My centre stand is supposedly to ship to me around end of this month. One good thing about buying this bike in the winter is that accessories being BO'd for a month or two so isn't a problem. :)

I don't bother with protection bars anymore. They can save damage in a low speed tip and provide mounting spots for lights so I do recognize the usefulness. But I just prefer the look w/o them. I will order an extender as soon as it's available!

I haven't added additional lights for a while now because I seldom ride at night. When I do I can see, thanks to cataract surgery, plus the last three bikes I've purchased have great LED headlights. And as far as wiring, much more than just plugging something in is a challenge for me! BUT the conspicuity they add even during the day is apparent so I may look into adding them. It appears Guzzi utilizes crash bars for mounting though.

I just U-clamped a Ram ball mount to the handlebars for the Garmin XT cradle and used it w/o wired power to check the speedo (in)accuracy. I really don't like how Garmin configured the XT cable with the converter down at the battery connection and many feet of cable between it and the cradle where it's screw attached. But that's how it is wired on my V85 which doesn't lend itself to be moved from bike to bike.
My solution is to run a power cable up near the bars and instruments with an SAE 2 prong end, on each bike. Then I had someone splice and shorten the XT coax cable to 15" from the cradle including the converter and terminating with an SAE plug. Now whenever I want the GPS fitted I'll just shift the cradle, with the 15" cable staying attached, between bikes and plug it in.
Clifton

Not sure about panniers yet... I do have a GS with Varios, and I usually use that for longer trips/ Euro tours, especially if my Mrs is on the back - she loves being pillion on the GS. I sold my V85's panniers, as if I am only away for 1 or 2 nights in B&B's (usual in the UK) then I use a Enduristan Packsack on the back seat - plenty of room for a minimalist :)
That's a good plan on the Zumo XT. I have a NAV6 on my GS - whilst I prefer the XT, it doesn't give wonderwheel function on the GS, so I will just keep the NAV6 on the GS and the XT on the Stelvio.
I do notice that the accessories on the GS draw the battery slightly when cranking from cold, so the Thunderbox will hopefully keep the load off the battery until the bike has started to give maximum power for cranking on cold starts... Having said that I've had no issues with the V85...
I get what you mean about engine crash bars. They are ugly. I don't have them on my GS (just the Touratech protectors on the cylinders) for that reason. And for the same reason I will probably stick with soft luggage unless someone brings out an aftermarket pannier that doesn't leave pannier rails on the bike when it's sans panniers (no GSA-type scaffolding for me :) )

It's hard to fault the looks of the factory panniers, how tight they tuck in, and then bike's clean look with the panniers off. So I am still considering ordering them. What's holding me back though is I'd like to first know how rigid and secure they attach for when riding on bumpy, gravel roads? I assume they are the same ones the Mandello uses but I doubt many have pounded their Mandello with bags, much over rough roads. Also I've heard of cases where a Mandello pannier has come off when riding, probably due to not being locked on correctly. But I understand they are fiddly to get on just right and some take the effort to further secure them with a pin or bolt to prevent them coming off.
Wrinkleyowlie, do you have panniers on your V100? If so what are your thoughts about using the same ones on your Stelvio?

Panniers are no more fiddly than any others I have used. And they appear to be waterproof, which I can't say about some of the BMW ones I have had.

Good to hear they're easy to mount and are waterproof! How solid to the bike are they once attached, say on something like a washboard dirt road?

I haven't taken it off road but they are pretty solidly mounted I think. They are a slightly odd shape but are a decent size.

I haven't taken it off road but they are pretty solidly mounted I think. They are a slightly odd shape but are a decent size.
Yes they appear short but deep, and with the stubby silencer the right one is almost the same size.

That bike sounds awesome! I do note that he changes up mid way through corner and then changes down again with nice overrun. I'd probably just hang in the lower gear and get that burble. Wow it sounds nice. Pity about the weight and screen though

Wrinkleyowlie, one thing you might check when it arrives is this area under the rear mudguard. On mine the cover underneath was bowed down and also missing the screws at the rear. You can see where the 2 recess' for them are. I just added the common screws myself but the sag is still there. Underneath in the middle there is a small, square hole that perhaps a (missing) clip somehow engages? If I don't correct it myself I'll have the dealer do so but I was hoping not to have to take it back and just perform the 1,000 mile service myself.

IMG_1834.jpg

It's arrived, picking it up on the first. 8 weeks till any yellow ones arrive so I went with the Grey. Grey is the standard bike without the radar crap and the yellow ones will most probably have it so I'm not too bothered. I'll most likely have it wrapped anyway.

Great! The gray looks good and it matches everything!
I know, of all the things a manufacturer could do to make their motorcycle better and more desirable, how did someone come up with the idea that fitting radar F&R along with collision "avoidance" was what they should focus on?

Well ............. I was looking forward to a test drive on this (The Stelvio) shortly .... in sunny N Ireland

BUT

Have just heard today that our dealer (McCrum's) is parting ways with Moto Guzzi ... which is a shame and a bollocks and .................
I "understand" they wanted to put him in a "similar / same box" as every other Piaggio (or what ever the name is) dealer in Europe ... and he said no ... that's not how it works here !! (I think he has sold a LOT of Guzzi's in the last months/ years ... and even had a few Stelvios on oder for people (not sure what happens now))
His loss , their loss , our loss ..................... does NOT sound like a good plan to me !! (Meanwhile our friends at MSC or whatever it is .................. carry on)
Happy camper .................. NOT !!

Got a message about that yesterday as I bought an AT off Wes McCrum a couple of years ago. Very short sighted of Piaggio. NI is too small we need mixed dealerships.

I HATE when manufacturers do this! Harley, BMW, Triumph, have been bad about that over here.

Back
Top Bottom