Urban GS

spen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just looking some feed back from any owners regarding reliability , finish , anyone done any touring on one etc any thing you can tell me to persuade me to get an Urban

I bought one new, kept it for 3 years, would like to get another or maybe a scrambler as I miss it. Loved the engine. I had 2 led indicators go, anti knock sensor, all warranty replaced. The seat fixing is not great, thread gets stripped but you can make a fix. But otherwise it’s just so nice to ride with that engine. Found it not the comfiest, got bar risers, lowered pegs which helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking some feed back from any owners regarding reliability , finish , anyone done any touring on one etc any thing you can tell me to persuade me to get an Urban

First time touring rider, (my wife, who at the time only held her licence for approximately 6months) took her R9T Pure to Tuscany.
She enjoyed it the first few days on a 10 day trip with 3 days at base and off the bikes. But that was the last time she actually rode anywhere outside of UK. She found it stressful and very overwhelming. The faf of getting the gear on….
Basically not the bikes fault at all, despite my best efforts to make it tour ready, including a fly screen, a second set of clocks (so that she could see what gear she was in. But despite all that, being a 5’3” with very little confidence and and fear of being knocked off the bike again, especially in a foreign land (on the wrong side of the road) has really made her realise, that long distance motorcycle travel isn’t for her, even as a pillion, unless we get to a destination in a maximum 2 days have base for the duration of the trip, then get back home in maximum 2 days. Anyhow I seem to digress.
It’s a shame. Be cause she genuinely loves the bike. But inner fear and lack of confidence, does not allow her to enjoy it as it should be.
She’s a nervous driver in the unfamiliar setting/location. She’s even worse as a rider. Our bike day trips quite often end up on a miserable note (despite best efforts in keeping her spirits up high and plenty of encouragement … hey ho at least she has had a courage, of her own back to make a decision to take the test, fail twice and pass with a different school on a third time. She’s stuck with it, and I am very proud of her!

I think if you’ve had a pre LC GS/A then it basically same animal in different guise. Proven motor with Euro 5 models getting rider modes, cruise control, etc….

If I was to buy one, I’d tart it up and take to Bike Shed, for a Sunday breakfast run or day trips, perhaps even weekends away over here in the UK OR France etc.
Weeks long trip abroad might be a bit cramped for my long legs, so for proper touring, I’d still keep my 1290 SAS, as a mile munching beast.

^^^^

What Afmuir said. No issues in five years for me. Wunderlich seat on mine, has better fixing. Higher bars, lower pegs. Engine is the highlight, suspension pretty horrid…mine has been upgraded for not a lot of £££.

Toured Southern Scotland on mine, 250-300 mile days no bother. Just sold my Africa Twin (which was superb) cos I couldn’t bring myself to sell the Urban.

Some hate them, love mine

My Urban was the most uncomfortable bike I’ve owned in 40 years and probably near 100 bikes .
Crap suspension and horrid vibes through the seat . Sold it asap.

So you keep telling us …….ad infinitum

The OP is asking for feedback on the Urban . I’ve owned one . Have you ? If not why even comment ?

I have probably done enough miles to know it’s got the makings of a cracking bike, with some suspension additions to suit the rider/owner

Sadly you do what you always do, sold it in quick turn (as it wasn’t for you…..but not necessarily for others) and then slate that particular model of bike at every end & turn, when someone asks

It’s repetitive & we’ve heard you, many times

I have probably done enough miles to know it’s got the makings of a cracking bike, with some suspension additions to suit the rider/owner

Sadly you do what you always do, sold it in quick turn (as it wasn’t for you…..but not necessarily for others) and then slate that particular model of bike at every end & turn, when someone asks

It’s repetitive & we’ve heard you, many times

So you’ve not owned one but have ridden one enough to know that the standard suspension is not good enough as it needs ‘ suspension additions ‘.
I sold my Urban because it caused me serious health issues and I wasn’t prepared to pay out to fix a job that BMW should have done from the factory .
I’m pretty sure others such as Twizz also had issues .
I’m sorry if this grates with you but the OP wanted feedback on the Urban .
It has nothing to do with you .

Spen.
The Urban looks fabulous but make sure you try one first as a few of us have had serous comfort issues due to the seat and suspension.

And apologies for the Tenere Troll. He’s been hiding under his bed for much of the last 3 years so tends to get easily excitable .

It has nothing to do with you .

Why not?

We can all express an opinion to counter yours (which you believe is correct every time)

I dunno why you hang around on a BMW bike forum when you rubbish every bike that BMW make nowadays and have little intention of ever buying one again

I've not owned one but got given one for a few days whilst my GS got some of it's innards replaced

The engine was great but it was extremely uncomfortable for me, I gave up on it and used the T120 I had at the time

Get a long test ride

Why not?

We can all express an opinion to counter yours (which you believe is correct every time)

I dunno why you hang around on a BMW bike forum when you rubbish every bike that BMW make nowadays and have little intention of ever buying one again

I had a GS in my garage until last summer .
When did you last buy one ?
Actually don’t bother replying as you’re just fucking up yet another thread with your usual bollox.

Actually don’t bother replying as you’re just fucking up yet another thread with your usual bollox.

Ah, you like to give it
But don’t like to receive it
Carry on

Anyway, in my opinion OP it was a great bike especially for scooting around town where the engine and the noise always made me smile. I strapped a Kreiga on the back which did me. In my opinion not something you’d stick a big top box on so in that way not as practical as the 850GS I have now. It’s clearly not for everyone, like all bikes, and you might find it a bit uncomfortable to start with but I’d have another one in an instant. Like always, get a good long test ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like trying to trash a 1200 GS for sale ad then............ wouldn't do that would we..............

Hi Spen,

I've got the Turban and the Scrambler.

I'd ignore the usual 'its a BMW so its crap' nonsense...........

They are what they are, pretty bikes but made to a budget.

I love both of them.

Personally, I think the ride is acceptable, although I've not taken either very far.

I'd suggest that if you are looking to bimble about having short range fun, they are perfect.

Longer trips then look at seats and suspension mods maybe.

Either way, they have the ability to make you look back at them when you get off, always a good sign.

Id get one :okay

If you want more feel free to PM me for a chat

Kind of like trying to trash a 1200 GS for sale ad then............ wouldn't do that would we..............

You mean commenting on a for sale thread where the seller advertises it dirty as he can’t be arsed to wash it and it’s got the usual rust ….thought it was a fair comment, having sold many bikes on here myself

Hi Spen,

I've got the Turban and the Scrambler.

I'd ignore the usual 'its a BMW so its crap' nonsense...........

They are what they are, pretty bikes but made to a budget.

I love both of them.

Personally, I think the ride is acceptable, although I've not taken either very far.

I'd suggest that if you are looking to bimble about having short range fun, they are perfect.

Longer trips then look at seats and suspension mods maybe.

Either way, they have the ability to make you look back at them when you get off, always a good sign.

Id get one :okay

If you want more feel free to PM me for a chat

Yeah , ignore the fact that at least three people on here found the Urban extremely uncomfortable to ride .
I wouldn’t call over £12k a budget bike , but the suspension is definitely budget.

Spen, definitely get a long test ride

Have a good friend, was team leader on the Kent bike team..worked alongside Giles for many years and now again for Rapid Bike. He’s got a YouTube channel testing demonstrators etc., has ridden many and is a very fine rider.

He was given an Urban as a loan while his S1000XR was being serviced. His thoughts… ‘what a fun little bike, I could see myself on one of those. Surprised me..’

As stated. They’re not a tourer though you could..they’re not up to R1200/1250 standards of ride quality though they’re priced accordingly. They’re fun for many and not for all. As also said, get a test ride, you’ll either love it or not. I doubt it’ll leave you somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom