Portable power station

When you discharge a battery, and keep it discharged, you destroy it.
Using a car battery and leave the chargers (for the bike) attached until it is discharged will make its life very short.

Has anyone used a portable power station (Jackery type thing) to operate a mains powered battery charger?

Connect it to an inverter.

BTW, Optimate makes a DC to DC charger.

Battery > Inverter > Charger > Battery is very inefficient.

My solar operated battery chargers managed to keep the batteries of my bikes alive for a few years now. My garage doesn't get much light, especially in December, but they seem to do the trick still.
Two of them are connected to 40W panels, and one to a 20W (I should replace it with a 40W that I have, but cannot be arsed to go up the roof again).

What kind of solar charging system were you using?

You seem to have missed the OP’s declaration that he wants to use a portable power station (I had to Google that up, to discover what it is) for two separate purposes:

1. To keep his motorbike battery charged, which (remarkably perhaps) is flattening itself in two weeks

2. To use whilst camping

One stone, two dead birds.

This was not stated in the first post which was the one I was replying to.

How about one of these?

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/cs-free

It's a power bank, charger for all lead acid ands lithium batteries, runs off another battery, mains, solar or a car cig plug, will start a dead battery, and even charge your mobile phone!

I like the "jump" function - it doesn't actually jump start a dead battery, it does some kind of accelerated boost charge thing, which is good as new batteries especially lithium are quite sensitive.

The power stored in a battery is measured in Watt Hours, not Amp Hours (Ah at what voltage?, meaningless statement)

/pedant/ Ampere-Hours is correct measure of capacity. Voltage will vary over the discharge period and so the power output will vary. You can approximate the Watt-hours by simple multiplication but to be accurate you need to integrate the AH x V over the time. /pedant

If you can live without the big power station for camping, then why not just buy a small jump start pack like the ones from Antigravity, NOCO or similar and just take it with you when you need to start the bike.

If the bike starts, all is good, but if not just use the jump pack...

If you can live without the big power station for camping, then why not just buy a small jump start pack like the ones from Antigravity, NOCO or similar and just take it with you when you need to start the bike.

If the bike starts, all is good, but if not just use the jump pack...

That's what that CTEK free does, but it's a charger as well. Wouldn't work as well as a big leisure battery for power while camping, but more strings to it's bow than a jump starter. More money, but.

If the bike doesn't start, battery most probably packed in because it sat in a discharged status.

He'll be jump starting the bike and changing batteries continuously.

I just recovered the "dead" Lithium battery on my HP2 with a CTEK Li charger. Which was handy since replacing it a a right pain, and a big pile of cash.

If the bike doesn't start, battery most probably packed in because it sat in a discharged status.

He'll be jump starting the bike and changing batteries continuously.

But that's lithium.

I think OP has traditional lead acid battery.

The CTEK one recovers a dead lead acid battery from 2v, and there is one (Noco Genuius) that recovers it, so they say, from 0v .

But I'd be checking why is goes dead in 2 weeks first!

But that's lithium.

I think OP has traditional lead acid battery.

A battery that has been left discharged that much will have suffered the effects of sulfation.
Unless you recharge it immediately, it's damaged. And has a way shorter life.

But I'd be checking why is goes dead in 2 weeks first!

100% agree.

https://no.co/genius10

"Restore your battery - Detects sulfation and acid stratification and restores lost performance for stronger engine starts and extended battery life."

These new battery chargers are very good.

A battery that has been left discharged that much will have suffered the effects of sulfation.
Unless you recharge it immediately, it's damaged. And has a way shorter life.

100% agree.

I have a CTEK 5.0. They are extremely good. They just don't perform miracles ;)

So connect to inverter to go from 12 to 220? Then plug in a battery charger to give 12 volts? Why not loose the charger and inverter? JJH

No, this would be very inefficient and unnecessary for keeping the bike battery topped up whilst in the garage.

Like you, I also suggested connecting the bike up to a large car battery.

My suggestion to connect the battery to an inverter was for when camping if mains power was needed.

I have a CTEK 5.0. They are extremely good. They just don't perform miracles ;)

These new ones have more functions, that’s for sure. To be able to recover a sulphated for fully discharged battery is very good, though if the plates are buckled it definitely done for.

I’ve got a couple of ctek msx 5’s and they are very good, traditional chargers. The lithium Xs chargers have the reset function for resetting Lithium electronics.

But, these new ones like the CTEK Free and Noco genius are much cleverer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to report my experience.
At some point I had 2 Optimate solars and three bikes. I did build myself another solar charger with leftover parts I had from the main solar setup (the one that charges the deep cycles batteries I use for lights, camera, and tools in the garage) but, same as you it didn't really work. No idea why.
Bike was the DRZ. Small battery, died as well.

At some point I bought another Optimate Solar and hook that one up too. Been ok since.
They might be slightly more efficient – no idea.

Just to report my experience.
At some point I had 2 Optimate solars and three bikes. I did build myself another solar charger with leftover parts I had from the main solar setup (the one that charges the deep cycles batteries I use for lights, camera, and tools in the garage) but, same as you it didn't really work. No idea why.
Bike was the DRZ. Small battery, died as well.

At some point I bought another Optimate Solar and hook that one up too. Been ok since.
They might be slightly more efficient – no idea.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/solar-panel-charge-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60W is decent. The ones I use are 40 (standard rigid frame as they are mounted on the roof).
One “plus” of solar charging is that very low amperage would usually get in the batteries (the slowest the charge, the happiest the battery) but on the other side, as written above, during winter (November/December) there might be very little if anything going in (at least were I’m placed). Kept them alive though.

Back
Top Bottom