Lightweight ideas, hints and tips

I have been following this with interest there is some great advice. I will try to add to it.

- I have a check list I print so nothing is forgotten and on return from the trip, spread out luggage contents, check what was unused and then amend the list. Only the tools/spares vary as too where I am going (I take more to Turkey than France for instance).
- I use a compression sack for clothes, it squeezes them down to the smallest size and creates unique patterns on your clothes...Crease resistant clothing is key.
- I decant my usual dandruff shampoo into a small bottle. By washing my hair in what ever the accommodation offer, I only need a tiny amount of my shampoo to do the job.
- I always carry a syphon tube. It takes little space and has been used numerous times. (Only once by myself...).
- The latest phones are good enough to ditch your camera. Over years I have moved down from SLR, to a good compact and a couple of weeks ago bought an iPhone 13 and so far very happy with the results.
- Footwear, just my riding boots and Merrell hiking sandals. If it turns cold, I use socks with the sandals. If cold and wet the riding boots.
- I use a small battery only travel shaver
- To dry clothing quickly, roll it into a towel for a couple of hours.
- If travelling where accommodation beds could have small inhabitants, I carry a silk sleeping bag liner. Folds up into a very small light pouch.
- I carry a sink plug, the type that fits over any drain hole. Even decent hotels can be missing plugs.
- A Kindle for entertainment and travel guides. (I guess one of the larger phones could be used instead?)

"To dry clothing quickly, roll it into a towel for a couple of hours." I should add, then hang to finish as Leadfarmer suggests. The towel trick just absorbs most of the moisture not all.

6c4b5f5cb88f55de37e958c2b9e4a5f4.jpg

Following Biggles‘ recommendation, I bought the three USB C socket version. It really is very good, coupled to extra long charging leads.

I never fail to be amazed by what some folk pack in their panniers/top box.

The atached picture was from a tour of Corica, Sardinia and southern Italy for 3 weeks. The tank bag has clothes wash kit and (SLR) camera. The rear bag contains tent, sleeping bag, inflatable sleeping mat, inflatable pillow, and shoes, with minor space remaining for a few snacks.

Waterproofs and water bottle on rear seat.

Attachments

• corsicaLR.jpg
    corsicaLR.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 89
I never fail to be amazed by what some folk pack in their panniers/top box.

The atached picture was from a tour of Corica, Sardinia and southern Italy for 3 weeks. The tank bag has clothes wash kit and (SLR) camera. The rear bag contains tent, sleeping bag, inflatable sleeping mat, inflatable pillow, and shoes, with minor space remaining for a few snacks.

Waterproofs and water bottle on rear seat.
Impressive - even by my minimalist standards :thumby:

I’ve had curling tongues in my pannier. Just sayin :D

I used to travel for work, most recently LGW KRK or STN DND out Monday morning, back Thursday, WFH Friday.

Laptop, charger, iPad, charger, 4 x (skiddies, socks, ironed shirts) headphones & book all in Samsonite rucksack, carry on only. Previously, transatlantic, or India, I used a carry on hold-all, possibly twice the above, but probably just used the hotel laundry & had a couple of t-shirts & maybe a sweater. Wore the same shoes in office as in evening (had safety boots under my desk, didn’t have to carry them). Barbour jacket, gloves & woolly hat in pocket, unless summer.

Back in 2002, I was travelling to Pisa, same routine. The bus to the plane used to take the same route every Monday, and the same passenger’s bag was sitting on a wall somewhere under the terminal buildings at Gatwick. It might be still there for all I know.

if at all possible, carry on only. If you pour red wine on your chinos, go buy another pair. Only happened once in thirty-odd years of pretty much incessant travel.

You honestly don’t need a porch off your tent. Really you don’t.

What the hell goes in those little bags biker mates have off their engine protection bars! Nutty bars!
@astrro on recent trip had his water bottle in one bag, he then using the other bag (when fitted) for tools, as the benefit of the extra weight also prevents bike wheeling when riding green lanes.

Grest thread @Wapping.

Going on about power chargers. I have purchased one of these. It accepts every electrical outlet that can be found worldwide, Has two USB A ports for charging older devices, plus three USB C ports, as well as ability to plug in any standard power adaptor found anywhere in the world. Retractable Prongs, literally make it a small cube. I have paired it with this wireless charger, the three pin charger supplied with it, has stayed in the box. This meant, that in conjunction with 6‘ anker USB-C power lead, as well as my 3‘ iPad USB-C I was bale to charge my iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, Air Pods as well as my Sena Headset and small emergency Anker Power Bank.

Having been ummming and arrrring for ages, I too have purchased compression packing cubes, which I have used in conjunction with (now some 5 years old) Kriega KS40 Pannier bags, 2 x Kriega Cubes and 1 x Kriega Cube XL, later (as it’s usually does) held all of my chargers, cables, etc, and the two smaller had socks and underpants in them. I could’ve halved the amount of underpants and socks I took with me on recent trip. But as it was my first trip with same base for multiple nights, I haven’t thought of rotation washing. Thought and perhaps even a piece of advice to fellow travelers regarding the packing cubes. Do buy yours with a mesh top, so that you can see what is inside them, as you are likely to have a set with at least two cubes being of same size.
One of the KS40 Bags had all of my clothes in it, the other had, my Rukka Forseair mesh suit, waterproof jacket, spare gloves. along with a cheap football boot bag, that kept my off the bike footwear and a pair of birkenstocks. I really do dislike flip flops or as aussies call them thongs, so the nearest thing is somewhat bulky Birkenstocks.
Staying for any period of time in same place, allowed be to wash my riding shirt, socks and pants, every night in the sink, and to have a second set ready for the following day. I use travel wash for washing my clothes, as I never bring any shower gel with me on the trips, if I am staying at the hotels.

I’ve learned a few years ago, that taking a mesh type drawstring bag, allowed me to put damp underwear, (that perhaps hadn’t dried over night) into the bag and using fabulous ROK straps, I am able to strap the bag to the top of my pannier, top box, or a pillion seat. This anrrangemnt allowed the contents to dry out by a passing air and sunshine through out the day. Same goes for soggy gloves, should you have encountered a downpour. The bag hardly weigh anything nor does it take much room. But it will allow you to stuff a number of items to dry out whilst you having a blast of a ride between hotels.

For our overnight ferry, I have packed Kriega US20 Bag, with bare essentials and a fresh change of undergarments for the following day including my iPad and Kriega Cube XL containing my charging kit. Theirs is simply no point in dragging a massive bag with you to an already cramped room. especially if you are sharing it with a fellow mate.

Grest thread @Wapping.

Going on about power chargers. I have purchased one of these. It accepts every electrical outlet that can be found worldwide, Has two USB A ports for charging older devices, plus three USB C ports, as well as ability to plug in any standard power adaptor found anywhere in the world. Retractable Prongs, literally make it a small cube. I have paired it with this wireless charger, the three pin charger supplied with it, has stayed in the box. This meant, that in conjunction with 6‘ anker USB-C power lead, as well as my 3‘ iPad USB-C I was bale to charge my iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, Air Pods as well as my Sena Headset and small emergency Anker Power Bank.
I use a similar one, charges all the kit, ipad, iphone, power bank and cardo. The passthrough uk plug powers the gimp mask (AKA CPAP machine) necessary only if I'm sharing a room as it stops me snoring...
Mate took an adaptor, a four bank trailing socket, multiple usb chargers etc - all replaced with this one item! Next trip, he'll be travelling lighter...

Clothing that doubles for use on or off the bike really helps. In years previous I would tend to take a hoodie in case it went cool in the evening, but I now take a down jacket that packs down to around the size of a decent bratwurst and will squish down even further. Can wear it under my marrakesh if temps drop while on the bike, like in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, or in the evening as a warm layer.

One multi-port USB charger for everything, meds, basic wash kit, mini Swiss Army knife, packing cubes etc works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 46
Clothes for three months in South America, where temperatures are likely to vary from 30 to zero degrees. The Bumot inner bag (35l pannier) even contains two pairs of shoes. The only things missing are toiletries and medicines, which go in a separate bag inside the pannier lid...

Attachments

• 1a6e4cbf-47f9-43f6-84f7-8383f7333d6a.jpeg
    1a6e4cbf-47f9-43f6-84f7-8383f7333d6a.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom