Lightweight ideas, hints and tips

I also pack a down jacket & as above, It compresses down to a small size in its bag. Great for the evenings when it's cooler and also doubles up as a great pillow placed over your folded up bike jacket (if dry).

I never fail to be amazed by what some folk pack in their panniers/top box.

The atached picture was from a tour of Corica, Sardinia and southern Italy for 3 weeks. The tank bag has clothes wash kit and (SLR) camera. The rear bag contains tent, sleeping bag, inflatable sleeping mat, inflatable pillow, and shoes, with minor space remaining for a few snacks.

Waterproofs and water bottle on rear seat.

id be interested know about sleeping setup as that looks very compact

If I wash clothing and its wet, I just put it under the straps of my roll bag on the next day. Soon dry

I barely ever camp but if staying in a pub/hotel/hostel for 3 or 4 nights, I can easily fit everything I need in my (GSA) top box. On the other hand I have mates who do the same trip with panniers,extra bags and f..k knows what else, which I simply don’t understand.

Clothing that doubles for use on or off the bike really helps. I now take a down jacket that packs down to around the size of a decent bratwurst and will squish down even further. Can wear it under my marrakesh if temps drop while on the bike, like in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, or in the evening as a warm layer.

One multi-port USB charger for everything, meds, basic wash kit, mini Swiss Army knife, packing cubes etc works for me.
+1 on the jacket except I use a synthetic Rab Cirrus as it retains its heat when wet.

Some really good tips on here thanks lads, now I've got some extra kit, and some more room in my wallet. thanks again.

I do the odd bit of travelling for work and have purchased numerous charging devices over the years , including many Scross multi adapters etc.
This is the current one in use right now

6c4b5f5cb88f55de37e958c2b9e4a5f4.jpg

660dd34370041c24ede6a3d503ca05f3.jpg

09c4f506b5ee72d4589a40a0cf7ffc04.jpg

Not the smallest but very robust and fast charging . Let’s me charge everything all at once .

They do a smaller version with one less USB-C port but slightly slower charging.

cb22027ee7d873c0c11e864c0491afe8.jpg

Sorted

69f3ec5cfc6be60b0855a9569bf563e7.jpg

I bought my Minix, an otherwise excellent product, in April. The small clip that holds the three pin adaptor in place has failed. This means that the device loses contact with the mains, not helped as the device hangs downwards from the three pin adaptor, gravity then taking over.

Last edited:
You honestly don’t need a porch off your tent. Really you don’t.

What the hell goes in those little bags biker mates have off their engine protection bars! Nutty bars!
I keep spare gloves (very hot weather ones and also heavy rain ones) in one crash bar bag and neck tubes, cloths, sun tan cream, etc. in the other.

Looks good, it takes the old A style usb so I might buy one of these, assuming it is reliable and solid
So far so good
Used it all across Spain and Portugal and have actually been using it a fair bit in the UK for ease of charging various things

I bought my Minix, an otherwise excellent product, in April. The small clip that holds the three pin adaptor in place has failed. This means that the device loses contact with the mains, not helped as the device hangs downwards from the three pin adaptor, gravity then taking over.

Good service (so far at least) from Minix, via Amazon.

Yesterday evening, I raised a warranty request via Amazon, through whom I bought the Minix. This morning, Amazon sent me a notification from Minix asking for a picture of the problem and an address where to send the replacement to. Let’s see what happens next.

IMG_3203.jpeg

Yesterday evening, I raised a warranty request via Amazon, through whom I bought the Minix. This morning, Amazon sent me a notification from Minix asking for a picture of the problem and an address where to send the replacement to. Let’s see what happens next.

View attachment 296754
Splendid Richard!

I know some people get disgruntled with Amazon re human rights and and other issues…

I recently had now 7 month old kettle develop a leak, but only when it is boiling. No leaks whilst cold or just after boiling.

Requested a callback from Amazon, and within minutes I had a phone call. Explained the situation and received a refund as said kettle is now outside of amazons 30 day return/exchange policy. You can’t fault Amazon on no quibble returns etc.

I tend to use Amazon even if there’s a cheaper alternative on eBay because I trust their returns policy.

A couple of years back I had an egg boiler delivered to my mum and within a week or two it failed. They said straight away that they’d send a replacement and asked me to return the original. I explained that might take a few weeks because she was housebound and it would be me who had to go and deal with that side of things so they said don’t worry, throw it in the bin.

There’s a lot to dislike about them but they do have their good side and that’s why people use them.

Very much enjoying all the wise counsel in this thread; thank you all:Duchess
I am revising my packing list now as I read the good suggestions. (Planning to spend a month rising around the 'Stans in May/June and looking to just bring a duffel-bag/Ortlieb to sit on the back of the rented motorcycle as I expect space will be at a premium. Plus lighter to carry/pick up, always a plus point for this aging GSer!🧓)

Yesterday evening, I raised a warranty request via Amazon, through whom I bought the Minix. This morning, Amazon sent me a notification from Minix asking for a picture of the problem and an address where to send the replacement to. Let’s see what happens next….

Hi Richard, Here's the tracking information: Tracking number: QB0456394301 Carrier: Amazon Logistics The parcel is estimated to be arrived on Dec. 21st. Please let me know when you've received it. Best regards, MINIX support team

The replacement adaptor plug arrived within a day of that message, shipped by Amazon on behalf of Minix.

Excellent service. I cannot fault it.

PS I also contacted Minix direct, via an email address ie. outside of Amazon. Minix also responded to that approach, too.

Last edited:
The replacement adaptor plug arrived within a day of that message, shipped by Amazon on behalf of Minix.

Excellent service. I cannot fault it.

PS I also contacted Minix direct, via an email address ie. outside of Amazon. Minix also responded to that approach, too.
I bought a Minix but one of the ports wasn't aligned properly then it was too tight and removed the sleeve from the usb c connector. So I sent it back and bought a simpler thing
The pull of gravity also seemed to put it at a downward angle which for some sockets in our cabin in Finland could be an issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226-152611.png
    Screenshot_20231226-152611.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 16
Just repeating some already mentioned items:
  • Luggage cube zip bags for clothes.
  • Omni- power converter thingy for all plugs.
  • Rubber travel plug for the weird sinks.
  • Shower gel in squidgy tube (Body shop do v good ones that requires only a tiny amount and is an excellent de-greaser).
  • Power bank (got a new one this year and was amazed how small these have got, was like a credit card but a bit thicker).
...and I'd like to add:
  • Flatpack travel detergent, looks like paper and disolves in water, takes up no space/weight.
  • Altra Lone Peak shoes (pack quite flat but are v comfy).
  • Small bicycle pump under the seat to deal with punctures (v rarely used and is smaller and lighter than a compressor).
  • Shaving oil instead of cream or can, tube is tiny and lasts ages.

Just finished another 10 week trip - Globebusters South America - Bogota to Ushuaia. Thought I'd share the post-trip packing list (ie adapted for lessons learned) whilst it's fresh in my mind. Only listing clothing (ie not riding kit or toiletries or tech). Happy to share those too if any interest.

L/S shirt x1
S/S shirt x1
T-shirt x1
Polo shirt x1
Riding top L/S - merino
Riding top S/S - merino
Long-Johns x1 - merino
Underpants x2
Socks
- ankle x2
- micro x1
- riding warm weather x1, cool weather x1
Microgrid fleece x1
Long pants x1
Shorts x1 (double as trunks)
Zip-offs x1
Merrell barefoot shoes - with gel sole inserts
Sandals/flip-flops
Plus a highly packable puffer jacket

This lot EASILY fits into a 31-litre pannier inner bag and covered every eventuality from +38C to -2C, all the associated heat/cold, wet/dry and wind conditions and all the activities, from hiking Machu Picchu to eating in Santiago's smartest restaurant

All clothes quick-dry and sink washable (no cotton). Daily arrival routine on riding days included washing whatever was worn during the ride (pants, socks and top) so everything is fresh in the morning. Easiest way to wash stuff is to take it into shower with you.

After three trips of this length, I reckon this is pretty close to the perfect list. I could probably lose the micro socks (and roll down ankle socks) and the short-sleeve shirt (roll sleeves up on L/S shirt) and if you want to send stuff to a hotel laundry at some point, a third pair of underpants would be useful - otherwise it's commando or long-johns :rolllaugh

……Only listing clothing (ie not riding kit or toiletries or tech). Happy to share those too if any interest…..

Thank you. Share away with the rest, please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom