50 Castles

Castle 4 White Castle

However , can anyone remember the story of Nazi Rudolf Hess , who flew solo to an alleged rendezvous with the British Royal family, ? He ran out of fuel , bailed out of his aircraft , breaking his leg in the process . Hess was captured and held in Maindiff Court, Y Fenni , where he was treated well , and permitted day release to paint at White Castle.

Today I met a man there , whose mother served food to Hess .
My mother was evacuated to White Castle ('Middle White Castle', actually) from Birmingham during the war. She recalled that she and her sister would see Rudolf Hess out walking accompanied by his plain-clothes minders, as she went to/from school at Brynderi (location: Abergavenny NP7 8UE) and they would cheekily announce "Good Morning, Mr. Hess!". Imagine that!

A history lesson wrapped up in a Ride Report, brilliant :thumb
Thanks for taking the time

But judging by some of the comments there’s unfinished business…

Thanks guys . As I originally posted , the route was taken from an ABR ride that Julian Challis participated in , a couple of years ago .

I’ve clocked 890 miles , so could easily be done in 2-3 days , but not if you wish to enjoy the castles.
Also , there are an estimated 600 castles in Wales , so plenty to choose from, if you feel omitted .
I have some awesome favourites and also some that I would not do again and were too route distracting .
Also , be aware that 20mph limits are now signposted everywhere in Welsh towns .

My mother was evacuated to White Castle ('Middle White Castle', actually) from Birmingham during the war. She recalled that she and her sister would see Rudolf Hess out walking accompanied by his plain-clothes minders, as she went to/from school at Brynderi (location: Abergavenny NP7 8UE) and they would cheekily announce "Good Morning, Mr. Hess!". Imagine that!

Yes and as I wrote , I met a guy at White castle , whose mother served breakfast to Hess.
(Hess was a founder member of the Nazi party )
I’ll remind you , that Hess’ only charge at Nuremberg was ‘breaking the peace ‘ , yet he was imprisoned in solitary confinement and the ONLY prisoner in Spandau for the last ( think 23 years or so) of his life.
After Hess’ reported ‘suicide’ , Spandau was demolished , to prevent it becoming a shrine . However , a brick turned up at The Antiques Roadshow ;

Yes and as I wrote , I met a guy at White castle , whose mother served breakfast to Hess.
(Hess was a founder member of the Nazi party )
I’ll remind you , that Hess’ only charge at Nuremberg was ‘breaking the peace ‘ , yet he was imprisoned in solitary confinement and the ONLY prisoner in Spandau for the last ( think 23 years or so) of his life.
After Hess’ reported ‘suicide’ , Spandau was demolished , to prevent it becoming a shrine . However , a brick turned up at The Antiques Roadshow ;

That would be the Hoggins family farm, Upper White Castle, I'm guessing?

Strange how events (especially war) throw people together - back then, and even now with you rediscovering the story and these 'lost to time' connections (and we would never know, if you had decided to stay home for the week!)
Thanks for sharing!
Safe travels.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom