Pyrenees trip

Hare About

Reaction score
If one was to planning to go through the Pyrenees, which roads are closed to motorcycles?
Is there a map I can use?

There are some roads such as the one to the Covadonga lakes (in the Picos, not Pyrenees) that have limited access i.e. a barrier comes down around 9am and access is via bus only.
There are some very rural areas (mostly west of Andorra) that have banned all motor vehicles but this will not affect road riders. They are clearly marked on maps as Parc Naturel e.g. https://maps.app.goo.gl/MWzasCmQJWZh19kr7 and the lovely C13 that runs from Sort to Vielha is unaffected. Ignore any histrionic posts about touring in Spain ending due to roads being closed. The internet was littered with them in the last 12 months.

Thanks, just trying to make sure I can go where I have planned
Well I suppose there are two schools of thought - 'go where the wind takes you' and 'get a plan Stan' - both of which are right if it happens to butter your toast :)

I can only speak for Spain, living here as I do in the Pyrenees, but the terrain can mean that whole sections of road can be closed for works, landslides, weather or just fuckwits blocking the roads with thier mobile f** ing homes breaking down or others causing a blockage ...

Luckily the Spanish Traffic Department, the DGT, has the answer with an on-line interactive and 'live' map here: https://infocar.dgt.es/etraffic/ which show such events. Luckily the icons on the map are fairly self explanatory, overturned car, weather sign, diversion arrow, etc. but you'll need to learn a few key words in Spanish to get the bst out of it and judge how to proceed. The key words re at the bottom of the Info. box when you click on an icon. One straight off is the most important -'CORTE TOTAL' which I think you can guess!

Click on ‘Welcome’ at the top of the page and you get it in english

Google maps is also pretty reliable to show roadworks and closures whether by geology, accidents or the lycra clad menace races.

Click on ‘Welcome’ at the top of the page and you get it in english
Cheers matey. In truth I didn't even see that as I speak the lingo so just go straight in. But as is always the case as soon as you drill down into a page it reverts into Spanish so you're no better off ...

Google maps is also pretty reliable to show roadworks and closures whether by geology, accidents or the lycra clad menace races.
A very good point about these wankers although much more of a problem in France where apart from actual races organised cycle tours block roads with their support vehicles aggressively preventing bikers from overtaking groups - and I mean aggressive, one of these days someone is going to get killed if it hasn't happened already ...

A very good point about these wankers although much more of a problem in France where apart from actual races organised cycle tours block roads with their support vehicles aggressively preventing bikers from overtaking groups - and I mean aggressive, one of these days someone is going to get killed if it hasn't happened already ...

Akin to self-anointed ‘Road Captains’, blocking roundabouts and junctions.

Back
Top Bottom