Winter runner 1200RT with 50k miles

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering a 2010 BWM RT with 50k miles rather than using the DesertX to commute from Kingston-upon-Thames to London. I'd appreciate any feedback on potential issues given the miles.

Cheers

Jeremy

I've found around that mileage it could be due a clutch which isn't cheap (£1000 ish) so if any evidence of one having been fitted would be good. otherwise generally pretty good bikes

Mine was a bike that did a mixture of London/other riding, the clutch lasted until 70k miles before needing replacement.

Steptoe did it at around 5 years ago for £700'ish.

1200RT is a great machine, but for that commute I'd have a 250/300cc scooter any day. After trying to get a1200RT (without panniers) round the North Circular, my Honda SH300i transformed the commute.

1200RT is a great machine, but for that commute I'd have a 250/300cc scooter any day. After trying to get a1200RT (without panniers) round the North Circular, my Honda SH300i transformed the commute.
Cant insure scooters in London any more… me thinks…

I do a similar commute from Kent and considered an RT recently - I test rode one and loved it. Without the panniers it would be a great choice.

I commute on a GSA (for nearly 10 years now) and love it. Being bigger it stops me taking risks that I would probably take on a a smaller bike.

So I tested a 2017 Honda NSS300 Forza scooter with 11k miles for £3199 and went to see a BMW 2010 1200RT with 45k miles FSH for £3995. The scooter feels like the sensible option and with muffs and a weather skirt, would be ideal. But, didn't really enjoy the seating position. The BMW Is a hell of a lot of bike for the money and has great weather protection, but perhaps unnecessary and unwieldy given the heavy traffic.

So I tested a 2017 Honda NSS300 Forza scooter with 11k miles for £3199 and went to see a BMW 2010 1200RT with 45k miles FSH for £3995. The scooter feels like the sensible option and with muffs and a weather skirt, would be ideal. But, didn't really enjoy the seating position. The BMW Is a hell of a lot of bike for the money and has great weather protection, but perhaps unnecessary and unwieldy given the heavy traffic.
The SH300i has the "feet-underneath" upright riding position vs the "feet-forward" of the Forza. SH300i a little more powerful as well, tho' not noticeable, I suspect. The SH has good weather protection - and a two-piece Givi Airflow screen would be a great addition. I had a Tucano weather skirt on the SH, but was not a great fan of weather skirts in general - especially since I always wore proper armoured m/c trousers.
My commute was from Enfield round the N.Circular to Brentford, where I had the use of a covered company car-park.
My choice of scooter had to be at least 100kg lighter than the RT - insurance was £22 per year as a second bike. Plus there was nowhere on that trip where it was legal to go above 50 mph. "As if" on the N.Circular.

Final point - if you had the choice of an automatic or a manual car to do that journey, which would you choose?

Back
Top Bottom